Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Direct Seeding 101

I've SLOWLY been getting things put into my garden. It's been spring for some time now, but, I've just finally gotten around to planting. Normally, I grow quite a few of my own seedlings inside on my windowsill. Space is pretty limited there and it just didn't get done for whatever reason. Maybe too much knitting or crocheting?
Anyway, I'm either buying transplants (I know a good nursery.....I work there) or direct seeding. I began with  lettuce, spinach & radishes. These were all direct seeded. Then, went in the cabbage transplants and part of the onion sets. These were all in before I thought to take photographs.
Tonight after work, I grabbed a glass of wine and my seeds and put in the following:



Swiss Chard- a variety called "Bright Lights" LOVE the colors in this variety.




Beets- a variety called "Cylindra". Never grew this variety before......They just looked interesting.









And "Oregon Sugar" Pea pods. Placed at the base of fencing to climb up.

The trick to direct seeding.....dig a narrow furrow the depth of the planting instructions on the back of the package.



Place seeds in the bottom of the furrow, spacing seeds as per package (spacing). This is not crucial.....you can always thin out seedlings later. Lightly pull soil over seeds to cover. CAREFULLY water soil over seedlings. That's it! EASY PEASY! Keep the soil moist and in about 7-14 days, you should see seedlings sprouting. So, grab yourself a glass of wine and get out in the garden and plant a few seeds!

No comments:

Post a Comment