Sunday, June 24, 2012

Free Plants (part2)

I think I've mentioned my obsession with Pinterest. I found a tutorial from The Burlap Bag about re-growing celery from planting the base. Sorry, you'll have to look up the tutorial yourself......I could NOT get the link to work. Even though I've been to the site and wrote down the link correctly. I just CANNOT get it to work. It's beyond my control.
Anyway, it's another free way to get plants. All right. You have to BUY a stalk of celery, but, really, what are you going to do with that base? Throw it away? Compost it? Or, in my case, feed it to my chickens? Basically, you cut off the base about 2 to 3 inches (put the rest of the celery in a zippered bag for future use).





Dig a hole. Place base in the hole.


Cover with soil. Water. In about 7-14 days it will start sprouting.

AMAZING!

2 comments:

  1. SO neat!!! Did this end up giving you new full stalks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carli-
      The stalk is still growing, but it looks like I'll end up with celery (unless a squirrel or chipmunk eats it!)

      Delete