Saturday, January 14, 2012

Contest Afghan

Back in November (2011). I decided I should enter Vanna's Choice knitting/crocheting contest again. What should I knit? I decided on an afghan (which of course, since it's a contest I can't show you yet). I figured out my pattern and started knitting.....and knitting......and knitting. Fast forward to today and now 7 skeins into the afghan and PANIC has set in! The deadline for the contest is February 1st. 17 days left to complete this afghan. I still have at least 3 (possibly 5) skeins left to knit up to get this finished. That doesn't even include time to block and photograph. I BETTER GET KNITTING!

January 24th, 2012
I thought I'd better give an update on the afghan progress. Only 7 more days until the deadline. It's going to take all 12 skeins of yarn to make the afghan long enough. I still have 3 more skeins to knit before this will be finished. I think I'll be able to make it (barely). I have one small problem.....the garter stitch edges are folding up. It's VERY annoying. I tried blocking the portion of the afghan already completed (so I could get a few pictures). It doesn't seem like it helped. I'm not sure what to do? It's really starting to bother me......A LOT!



February 21st, 2012
Another update......I'm FINALLY on the last two skeins of yarn! Wait! You're not done with this yet? Wasn't the deadline for this February 1st? You're right......and I did enter the contest. I just wasn't COMPLETELY done with the afghan. I did have enough done that I was able to get pictures (and not the best pictures, either) to enter the contest. IF, I'm chosen for a finalist, I'll have a little time to finish before I have to ship. I'm really ALMOST done......I just had a few things (like a Coffee cozy swap and some squares for JCCF) that distracted me a little. It happens!
Anyway, here's what I did about my folding garter stitch edges. I wet the edges (with a spray bottle of water), then I rolled the edges under the afghan at that dreaded foldline. Pinned and let dry. I'll have to repeat this process when the afghan is done. It's still not perfect, but it seems to be better.......

No comments:

Post a Comment